Are you raising eco-savvy children? Caring for our planet has been a much talked about topic in recent years and one that your child should be familiar with. From composting to conservation there are many ways for your child to contribute to the longevity of our planet.
Here are some behaviors you can model and promote that will set them on their way:
- Recycle everything possible!
- Turn the water off when brushing teeth – constantly look for ways to conserve water.
- Composting – not only does this help take care of our planet but it’s a great way to promote responsibility.
- Turn off & unplug! Computers, small kitchen appliances and chargers are great places to start.
- Minimize the use of disposable items. Plastic water bottles (use refillable containers), paper plates and paper towels; use eco-friendly grocery bags.
- Ride your bike if your destination is close and casual.
- Carpool when possible.
- Set a good example within your community and spread the word!
Check out this link to an article on eartheasy.com that highlights fun and appropriate environmental websites for kids. Eartheasy is a site I love that promotes solutions for sustainable living.
And mark your calendars… April 22nd is Earth Day! Be proactive and plan an activity for your family or identify a local event to participate in. The more our children learn about taking care of our planet, the more sustainable we’ll become.
Enjoy Earth. Enjoy your environment. Enjoy each other!